Recipe courtesy of Chop Chop Magazine
Here’s a recipe for a sweet and wholesome quick bread that’s the perfect treat to pack in a lunchbox.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cooking spray (or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds or flaxseed(if you like seeds)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (½ 16-ounce can) canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons dried cherries (or use more raisins)
- With the help of your adult, turn the oven on and set it to 350 degrees. Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray (or grease it with oil).
- Put the "ours, seeds, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in the small bowl and use the whisk to mix well. Set aside.
- Put the pumpkin, oil, honey, brown sugar and eggs in the large bowl and use the mixer or a spoon to combine until well blended.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dried fruits and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. With the help of your adult, put the pan in the oven and bake until a toothpick, when you stick it into the loaf, comes out clean with no batter on it, 50-55 minutes.
- Set aside to cool in the pan. Turn the loaf out onto the cooling rack and let cool completely. Cover and leave at room temperature for up to 3 days.